SPEAK UP Video Contest 2011
Take action! Make your voice heard! Win $500!
- Download submission guidelines and entry form [PDF]
- Download contest flyer [PDF]
- DEADLINE: Friday, April 29, 2011
Some people think teen drinking is okay…
…But teens are hurting their bodies, their brains, their families, and their futures. If we want things to change, we need to SPEAK UP.
We want your videos about who should SPEAK UP, when you should SPEAK UP, and how you should SPEAK UP.
You are invited to submit a short video about the power of SPEAKING UP about underage and binge drinking. Here are some questions to get you started:
- If there is dangerous behavior being witnessed, how can someone speak up about it?
- What’s a situation in which a difference can be made by someone taking a stand?
- What conversations should be going on between teens and parents about alcohol use and risky behaviors?
- How can young people communicate with each to make positive change?
- What are suggestions and advice for youth, parents and community members to help them speak up and take a stand?
Videos we’d like to see…
- We prefer videos between 30 and 90 seconds long – but if you want to make something longer, do it!
- Be serious, funny, or musical – just be creative!
- You can create a story that has a beginning, middle and end, like a short commercial.
- You can interview yourself or your friends.
- Or how about a cartoon or music video?
- The possibilities are endless … but read below for the rules before you start!
- Video needs to be about the power of SPEAKING UP about underage and binge drinking and/or impaired driving.
- The last five seconds of the video must include the words “SPEAK UP” – either spoken, written on the screen, or both.
- Submission can come from one person or a group. Only one grand prize will be awarded.
- Entrant(s) must live in Ventura County.
- The video’s concept must be entirely the creation of the individual or group.
- A completed entry form printed out and completed in ink, must accompany the submission. A completed, scanned version in PDF format may be submitted electronically.
- Videos accepted in the following formats: MPEG, MOV, AVI
- Contact Straight Up to arrange the best delivery method for your video.
- Submission will be judged according to its perceived value in raising awareness and understanding of issues surrounding underage and binge drinking and impaired driving.
- Videos perceived to be condoning dangerous behavior will be disqualified.
- Entries will be reviewed by a committee of peers, local leaders, and prevention experts.
- One grand prize winner will be selected, as will several runner-ups.
- Winners will be notified by phone and by email on May 10.
Deadline and prize information
- One grand prize will be awarded to the winning individual or group in the total of $500.
- Several runner up awards will be given.
- Submission must be received by Friday, April 29, 2011.
Additional guidelines and submission forms
A completed entry form must accompany all entries. Please review the details carefully before beginning your entry.
For more information:
(805) 643-5701 x1
The 2010 writing contest
Find out more about the 2010 writing contest and its winners here
About Straight Up: Straight Up is a youth development project that promotes social change regarding underage and binge drinking using improvisation and interactive performance and workshops with engaging discussion, exploration of issues, and the development of personal and community solutions to these problems. more