We’ve been visiting schools around Ventura County this week (and most weeks, but especially this week!) to get youth involved in prevention advocacy. Students have shared their knowledge of the negative effects drugs can have on the mind, body and quality of life with us and have been priceless participants in our Red Ribbon games and arts projects.
Having grown up with Red Ribbon Week, it’s easy to forget to stop and reflect on its significance and the role it plays in raising our next generation.
Red Ribbon Origins
National Family Partnership, formerly the National Federation of Parents for Drug Free Youth, was established as a grassroots, nonprofit organization in 1980 by a handful of concerned and determined parents who were convinced they should begin to play a leadership role in drug prevention. Nancy Reagan was an Honorary Chair of NFP. Since its founding thirty years ago, NFP has devoted its efforts to the well-being of youth. Today, NFP is a national leader in drug prevention education & advocacy. Our mission is to lead and support our nation’s families and communities in nurturing the full potential of healthy, drug free youth.
Red Ribbon Goal
- AWARENESS – NFP provides drug awareness by sponsoring the annual National Red Ribbon Campaign™. Since its beginning in 1985, the Red Ribbon has touched the lives of millions of people around the world. In response to the murder of DEA Agent Enrique Camarena, angered parents and youth in communities across the country began wearing Red Ribbons as a symbol of their commitment to raise awareness of the killing and destruction cause by drugs in America. In 1988, NFP sponsored the first National Red Ribbon Celebration. Today, the Red Ribbon serves as a catalyst to mobilize communities to educate youth and encourage participation in drug prevention activities.
- ADVOCACY – NFP is active in bringing the concerns and agenda of America’s parents and families to policy makers on a local, state, and national level. Joining NFP enables parents and coalitions to have direct access to our nation’s leaders and decision makers.
- RESOURCES – Our organization acts as a national clearinghouse of prevention literature. NFP has developed a series of prevention brochures to help educate our Partners with all the latest information on our Universal Campaigns such as: Red Ribbon Campaign, Red Ribbon Certified Schools, Lock Your Meds , and Safe Homes / Safe Parties.
Red Ribbon Pledge:
- As parents and citizens, we will talk to our children and the children in our lives about the dangers of drug abuse.
- We will set clear rules for our children about not using drugs.
- We will set a good example for our children by not using illegal drugs or medicine without a prescription.
- We will monitor our children’s behavior and enforce appropriate consequences, so that our rules are respected.
- We will encourage family and friends to follow the same guidelines to keep children safe from substance abuse.