Please read and TAKE ACTION to stop Leno’s 4am Bar Bill
Senator Mark Leno has introduced SB 635 to extend drinking hours in California from 2 a.m. to 4 a.m.
California already suffers $38.4 billion in alcohol-related harm every year, with 10,000 lives lost and hundreds of thousands of additional injuries. Two more hours of alcohol-driven profit for bar and restaurant owners will produce even more harm and loss.
In a report prepared for the California Council on Alcohol Policy by the Community Prevention Planning Program at UC Berkeley in 2004-2005, these points were highlighted:
- Extended hours for alcohol outlets are likely to increase amount of alcohol consumed and to increase alcohol-related problems including (emphasis ours)
- public drunkenness
- drinking-driving arrests and crashes
- youth access to alcohol
- Police costs and other community service costs will be greater under this proposal, such as
- police services
- emergency medical services
- planning and zoning
- streets and sanitation
- California Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC) services.
Please encourage your community to make your voices be heard!
Alcohol Justice’s Grassroots Action Center offers easy steps to write and submit a letter to Senator Leno on their website. Please consider submitting a letter and taking a stand!
[Sources: “Extended Hours of Sale” prepared by Friedner D. Wittman, Ph.D., Prevention by Design, Community Prevention Planning Program, Institute for the Study of Social Change, University of California, Berkeley ; Alcohol Justice]