An all-too-common side effect of teen alcohol and drug use is violence. According to the Center on Alcohol Marketing and Youth, underage and binge drinking can create secondhand effects that can put others at risk. Loud and unruly behavior, property destruction, unintentional injuries, violence, and even death because of underage alcohol use afflict innocent parties.
February is a time to bring awareness to teen dating violence. Organizations and individuals nationwide are coming together to highlight the need to educate young people about dating violence, teach healthy relationship skills and prevent the devastating cycle of abuse. The teenDVmonth website offers resources for youth, adults and communities that want to plan awareness-raising activities in February.
Sources and references:
- Teen Dating Violence Month 2015
- Consequences of Underage Drinking – CAMY
- Social Host Ordinance in Ventura County – Ventura County Limits
- The Surgeon General’s Call to Action To Prevent and Reduce Underage Drinking – NCBI
- Interface Children and Family Services
- Ventura County Health Care Agency