PRESCRIPTION FOR CHANGE Video Contest 2013
Deadline: April 19, 2013
First prize: $500
Create a short video about PRESCRIPTION FOR CHANGE– what you, your community, or your peers can do to increase understanding of the dangers and reduce the problems of prescription drug misuse and abuse in our community.
Training and equipment rental available! Contact us for more info!
Pick from one of these topic ideas:
- Dangers of sharing prescription drugs or mixing prescription drugs with alcohol
- Prescription drug addictions
- Busting myths about prescription drugs being safer than illicit drugs
- The link between prescription drugs and illicit drug use
- Safe storage and disposal of prescription drugs
- Information about specific prescription drugs that are being misused or abused
Videos we’d like to see…
- We prefer videos between 30 and 90 seconds long – but if you want to make something longer, do it!
- Be serious, funny, or musical – just be creative!
- You can create a story that has a beginning, middle and end, like a short commercial.
- You can interview yourself or your friends.
- Or how about a cartoon or music video?
- The possibilities are endless … but read below for the rules before you start!
- Video must be around one of the topics listed at top of page.
- Video must contain at least one fact about prescription drugs (listed in next section).
- Submission can come from one person or a group. Only one grand prize will be awarded.
- Entrant(s) must live in Ventura County.
- The video’s concept must be entirely the creation of the individual or group.
- More than one entry may be submitted by the same individual or group.
- Copyrighted images, footage or music may not be used.
- Video releases must be obtained by anyone appearing in the submission.
- A completed entry form, printed out and completed in ink, must accompany the submission. A completed, scanned version in PDF format may be submitted electronically.
- Videos must be uploaded to the entrant’s own YouTube channel for review, and a URL for viewing submitted.
Video must include one or more of the facts below
Every video submitted must include one or more of the statements below. They can appear as text on the screen, spoken as narration or by a person on-screen.
- “In Ventura County, 13% of 9th graders and 20% of 11th graders say they’ve abused prescription painkillers.”
- “1 in 5 teens have abused prescription drugs.”
- “Over 50% of teens who abused prescription drugs got them free from friends or family.”
- “In the US in 2011, 14.8 percent of high school seniors used a prescription drug nonmedically.”
- “Every day in the US, 2,500 youth (12 to 17) abuse a prescription pain reliever for the first time.”
- “Prescription drug abuse causes the largest percentage of deaths from drug overdosing.”
- “About one in four college students has illegally used prescription drugs, and many more have been offered these medications by friends or fellow students.”
- “Prescription drug abuse results in one death every 19 minutes in the US.”
- Submission will be judged according to its perceived value in promoting change surrounding prescription drug abuse.
- Videos perceived to be condoning dangerous behavior will be disqualified.
- Entries will be reviewed by a committee of peers, local leaders, and prevention experts.
- One grand prize winner will be selected, as will several runner-ups.
- Winners will be notified by phone and by email on May 3, 2013.
Deadline and prize information
- One grand prize will be awarded to the winning individual or group in the total of $500.
- Several runner-up awards will be given.
- Submission must be received by Friday, April 19, 2013.
For more information:
Straight Up is made possible through funding from Ventura County Behavioral Health Department, Alcohol and Drug Programs.